Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rule clarification (Read 2859 times)
Empty Pockets

Another Game Fisherman

albion park rail
Rule clarification
Jan 19th, 2017 at 8:00am

With alot of new members and a lot of new great video footage turning up on social media i was wondering what everyone's interpretation was on this following angling rule was.

From the time a fish strikes or takes a bait or lure, the angler must hook, fight and land or boat the fish without the aid of any other person, except as provided for in these regulations.  (Clarification to Angling Rule 1.) If the mate is letting out a bait or lure and the reel is in free spool, the rod can be put back in the cover board or handed to the angler. Under no circumstances can any drag be put on the reel. This situation is legal. The rationale is that the hook has not been set with the reel out of gear. When retrieving a bait or lure the fish would be disqualified immediately if the rod is put back into the cover board or transferred to another person as the reel is in gear and the hook has been set.

If a rodholder is used and a fish takes the bait or lure, the angler must remove the rod from the holder as quickly as possible.

We have always fished to this with the understanding that if trolling lures and the fish strikes taking the lure and running then the angler must remove the rod from the rod holder immediately and hold the rod while the other gear is cleared and not assist in retrieving gear while leaving the rod in the rod holder with the fish still hooked.
I fish short handed like most and am wondering if i am misinterpreting the rule or is it something that needs to be clarified?? It appears that it may be common practice to leave the rod in the rod holder and for the angler to help clear the rest of the gear first ( which would make my life easier some days lol). These rules come straight out of the Gfaa angling rules

Cheers Matt

IP Logged

DaveH

Another Game Fisherman

Re: Rule clarification
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 4:06pm

Excellent point.
Any clarification yet? 
If that is the rule we should be following it to the T.

Dave

IP Logged

Empty Pockets

Another Game Fisherman

albion park rail
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:19pm

I couldnt agree more.

Anyone else want to make comment??

These rules were pasted from the gfaa angling rules word for word.

Matt

IP Logged

JAMBO
YaBB Newbies

Another Game Fisherman

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 9:53am

I was always under the impression that the angler must take the rod straight away. As you said Matt it makes things hard when fishing short handed.
With all the social media these days there are a lot of things that I look at and question as Dave said if its a rule it must be followed.....

Cheer Grant

IP Logged

BJ Recorder
YaBB Moderator

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:07pm

This is my opinion for what it's worth...

These sorts of rules are in place to ensure the Angler does not have an unfair advantage in a fair fight between him and the fish.  Although the rules are written in black and white, there needs to be a level of common sense as well.
On one hand, there is blatant rule breaking, or cheating I guess you could call it, where the Angler (or crew for that matter) does gain an advantage over what should be a fair fight.
On the other hand, I have always considered minor infractions or accidental infringements of the hard and fast rules acceptable as long as NO ADVANTAGE is gained by such an act.  I am thinking of occasions such as where a crew member might be helping the Angler get strapped into a harness and gimbal belt and he touches the rod or reel, either accidentally or without thinking.  Such an infringement in my book does not justify disqualification of the capture.

In respect of the topic in discussion here, picking up the rod immediately after a hook up, in my opinion the same common sense should apply.  The rule is in place to stop the Angler placing or leaving the rod in a holder and having the ROD fight the fish rather than the Angler.  Regardless of the number of crew on board it takes time to clear the rest of the gear to the point where the Angler can pick up the rod and begin the fight.  As long as that time is not purposely drawn out to gain any advantage, then to me it is an acceptable part of the process.
Perhaps the rule should read "as soon as practicable" rather than "immediately", but I doubt the rule would change in fear of it giving the Angler a bit too much leeway on what he might consider "practicable".
I often fish solo, and even though I only troll 3 rods, I always bring in the other 2 before I pick up the hooked up rod and begin fighting.  With the rules in mind I am also always already wearing the harness so I don't spend any more time than necessary before I begin the fight.

Common Sense and fair play!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print